Tuesday, January 29, 2008

An Ordinary Man

Better than Santa Claus. Paul Rusesabagina, the man upon whose experiences the film "Hotel Rwanda" is based, came and spoke at the BYU forum this morning. I was lucky enough to be able to get on the floor, as opposed to the bleachers, and shake hands with him after his address.

The title of this post is the name of the book he wrote, which I guess was not nearly as popular without Don Cheadle , and I assure you, that is an honest assessment of himself. Before you take that comment the wrong way let me add that his plainness of speech and timid manner in relating to the horde that wished to shake his hand was what really drove the whole message of his speech home. Moreover, I was extremely touched by his example as he sang the opening hymn in that very foreign setting, without a hint of guile in his eyes. He was not trying to impress anyone, but he certainly did.

He was most insistent that he was not a hero. He merely said that the situation was unbelievably unfortunate and he had no choice but to rise to the occasion. May I view my struggles the same way. May we all. You're the best. Paul included.

(On an unrelated note, Austin and I have been saying his last name with addict glee. Try it.)

No comments: