Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Escuela

Believe me, I resisted posting anything about school during finals week as long as I could but I think BYU is such an unusual institution that I had to say something about it.

I don't know when, but I have to believe that at some point in my life people will stop giving me what I want just because I say it's important to me. I never want this to happen and, I should add, that I never feel like I have twisted anyones arm to get what I want. However, especially where school is concerned, it has been my experience that if I go say - "Excuse me, dear sir or madam, I need a higher grade on this because presently it will reflect poorly on me. Can I please have one?"- it works. I have received two critical grades this semester that I did not earn, in different classes, simply by asking. I hope this doesn't come off boastful. I promise, I'm as confused as you.

I'm glad I am at school at BYU. I chalk this unwarranted generosity up to the teachers being invested in teaching something beyond the curriculum. A very LDS sentiment. "David- I just read your email. I believe in mercy. Megan please add 12 points to his score. - Dr. Dollahite" That 12 points took me from a failing grade to a B. Unreal.

I recommend talking to your teachers. Maybe even start out by saying "Hey, you know what? I'd really like an A in this class. What can we do about that?" It seems to do the trick.

Good luck on your finals. You're the best.

4 comments:

austinmcraig said...

I've had similar experience, or at least I think I have. Maybe we're just optimistic.

Dave the Wave said...

In general I have too much pride to ask, but when I do it normally works.

meredith said...

when I read "you're the best." I want to say "no, no, no, YOU're the best."

That is because we are friends and I think you are fantastic. Good job with s.c.h.o.o.l.

Mary said...

Once in my BYU career I approached a teacher because I honestly thought I had earned a higher grade and just wanted to understand how I had been assessed. I was confused. Well- that confusion turned to rejection as the teacher defensively outlined just how poor my final paper had actually been. It was extremely embarrassing.

Another time I thought I had received a better grade than I deserved. Actually, this has happened a lot. But in one case I was in a required meeting with the professor after turning in a paper and he gave it back to me with a high grade. I was very surprised and started outlining all of the paper's weaknesses. The professor stopped me, told me it was a good paper, and politely told me in professor-like-terms that I was being weird. I have learned to not say anything to teachers about grades. Yucka. I'm happy for you for being non-awkward and improving your grades by so much. Props.