Tuesday, April 22, 2008

El Gordo

I love the song "If You Could Read My Mind" by Gordon Lightfoot. I hear the last minute of it on the radio periodically and have never before made an attempt to find out who sings it. I'm not sure it relates to me. I'm not sure it has to. It's catchy. I'll stretch it to make it fit. Maybe I'll let you in on how it applies to me later. 

Other songs that I love too much to be ashamed of loving:

Melissa Manchester - Don't Cry Out Loud

Glen Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy

Don McLean - Miss American Pie

The Stone Poneys - Different Drum

Vitamin C - The Graduation Song

Billy Joel - Movin' Out

Fallout Boy - Sugar, We're Going Down

Tim McGraw - Something Like That

Dixie Chicks - Travellin' Soldier

Elton John - Daniel

Elvis Presley - In The Ghetto

Goo Goo Dolls - Iris

Good Charlotte - The Motivation Proclamation

Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

Joe Cocker - Up Where We Belong

Lil' Troy - Wanna Be A Balla

Limp Bizkit - My Way

Linda Rondstadt - Somewhere Out There

Linkin Park - One Step Closer

Nelly - Luvin' Me

Bone Thugz N' Harmony - Home (feat. Phil Collins)

P.O.D. - Youth Of The Nation

Pink - Just Like A Pill, Don't Let Me Get Me

R.E.M. - E-Bow The Letter

R. Kelly - The Worlds Greatest

Rob Thomas - Lonely No More

Ryan Shupe - Dream Big

The Sounds - Dance With Me

I guess that's it for now. I'd love to hear yours. I'd also love to hear that I'm not alone on some of these. But even if I am, I will sing these loud and proud.

You're the best.


5 comments:

Daniel and K8 said...

I'll fess up...

I too love:

Don McLean - Miss American Pie

And, OMG (Sorry, I sound like a Gossip Girls add, but there's no other appropriate term for that.), I had forgotten about the graduation song... but I despise it nearly as much as I despise the Beatles and that stupid new Chris Brown & Jordin Sparks song.

Fallout Boy - Sugar, We're Going Down

Tim McGraw - Something Like That (This is my all-time favorite country song. My parents and I adore it.)

Goo Goo Dolls - Iris
- one of the sexiest songs I'd heard by the age I was when it came out (stupid movie though)

As to GC, I'll confess they're stupid, fun stuff I enjoy sometimes. And apparently they've got some good genes. That Harlow Winter Kate is gorgeous.

Linda Rondstadt? Wow. Is that the song from the movie where the streets are paved with cheese? I had a stuffed Fievel. He was like 3' tall. I loved him. But, to be honest, that song is depressing.

P.O.D. - Youth Of The Nation
- they provided many a theme for my HS years

So now it's my turn...

I love the following too much to be ashamed:

Dovetail Joints - Level on the Inside
Lupe Fiasco - Superstar (I mostly love Matthew Santos)
The Turtles - Happy Together
Jump Little Children - Body Parts
Violent Femmes - American Music
U2 - One
Paul Potts - Nessun Dorma
Britney Spears - Piece of Me
Maxeen - Soleil

There are more. Maybe I'll share 'em as I remember.

Jami said...

Dave, I was just wondering if it was Rod Stewart or Jerry Garcia who sang "Don't wanna miss a thing?" I like that one.

D Smith said...

I only listen to current super hip music, I can't relate to this post at all.

Snolark said...

Oh Wow. I don't know how long my list of guilty pleasures would be if I wrote it out in its entirety, but maybe if I can own up to a few then I'll feel less guilty.

Elton John-benny and the jets
Stevie Wonder-I believe (when I fall in love with you it will be forever)
Spice Girls-2 become 1
Queen-don't stop me now
the Proclaimers-500 miles
the Pretenders- Brass in Pocket
Peter Gabriel-In Your Eyes
Mazzy Star- Fade Into You
Mariah Carey- Always be my Baby
Madonna (too many to name)
Journey- Don't Stop Believin'
George Michael-Careless Whisper
Urge Overkill- Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon
Kenny Loggins-Danny's Song


*whew* that feels pretty good. That's at least one side of a mix tape...one that no one would want to receive

Dave said...

miche,
dont stop me now and danny's song are nothing to be ashamed of. when the time comes, those will be played at my wedding. also i had to restrain myself with elton john although benny and the jets was the second title i was going to put.

i have also had a love affair with mazzy star. and the whole angus soundtrack.